Home

Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Room with a View

Do you ever feel the periodic need to reflect? Yesterday I was sitting on our back deck reading Dan Brown's latest work, The Lost Symbol and felt a 'moment' coming on. In what I'll call my Chamber of Reflection, I started thinking of how much I enjoy the view from my back deck - especially when sitting next to my wife and black lab.  My best moments of thought and reflection have come while enjoying this view.  Yesterday, however, I started wrestling the urge for a better view.  While it may sound ungrateful for what we already have (180 degrees from how I feel, btw), I had to be honest about my feelings.  For the right or for the wrong, I think perhaps I see the view from the back deck as a reflection of my success.  Which leads to my next series of thoughts...perhaps the only view isn't from the deck.

What does a great view mean to you?  How many times have you paid more money for a hotel room with a better view?  A couple years back, Police star Sting, paid just over $26M for arguably the best view in New York (click here). To some, the best view in the world is sitting in a field at a family reunion - looking at family members of four generations.  There was a great view in Branson this week - our nephew took his first steps in the basement of their home (view video here).  Not a bad basement view, huh?? In March, Amy and I were fortunate to have the view below on our honeymoon (USVI St. John).



My big question: Is the view off your back deck the only measuring stick to your success and happiness?  I hope not.  In your repository of memories, which view(s) bring a smile to your face?  What I felt yesterday was appreciation for my current view, but yet a yearning for something even better.  Don't we all have things that drive us to do and want better?  Better for ourselves and our family?  Alright, Alright - yes, I am guilty of wanting a better view from my deck.  But the beautiful thing about reflection is that now I know why I want the view...to better enjoy my memories from the things that really matter.  Family, faith and my contribution(s) to making this world a better place.

Whatever your room, my hope is that you find your measuring stick for happiness and success - along with the tools to help you achieve. Until next time, room service is on me!

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.  This is to have succeeded." - Ralph Waldo Emerson